Active Health Holiday Recipe Favourites
If you were a patient, gosh knows how long ago, maybe 2004-2012, you might remember our recipe handouts with the collection of staff favourites for the holidays. Well, coming into 2022 and here we are bringing back the tradition. Here are a few of our staffs favourite recipes for the holiday season.
~ Appetizers ~
Cranberry Pecan Goat Cheese Truffles
- Goat cheese
- Cinnamon (dash)
- Chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- Dried cranberries
Mix together the goat cheese, a spoonful amount of honey, a dash of cinnamon and chopped pecans. Scoop into balls and set aside. In a bowl mix crushed pecans, dried cranberries and parsley. Roll the balls in the mixture and drizzle with honey... this will disappear fast at a gathering!!!
~ Breakfast ~
Champagne Poached Pear Crepes
Poached Pear Filling
- Peel 4-5 pears and place in a sauce pan
- To the sauce pan, add 3 cups of champagne (the alcohol cooks out), 2 cups of water, 1 cup of sugar, 1/2 bourbon vanilla bean.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the pears and allow the liquid syrup to simmer
- Mix together
-1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter - melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- Cook your crepes in a cast-iron pan until cooked
- Filling with your sliced poached pear
- Top with ice cream or whipped cream and top with the remaining syrup from the pears
24 hr Breakfast Quiche
(great for Christmas breakfast)
- 4 cups cubed old bread
- 2 cups of grated medium cheddar
- 10 eggs beaten
- 4 cups of milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 10 slices cooked, crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped green/ red pepper
Day before, grease 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle all bread cubes on the bottom. Sprinkle in cheese, eggs, milk, mustard, salt & pepper and pour over in layers. Sprinkle the rest of the toppings. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Next morning, baked uncovered at 325 degrees for 1 hour. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
~ Mains ~
Rockin Moroccan Stew
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup green pepper
- 3 cups sweet potato
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can chick peas drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
Sauté onion, celery, and green pepper in a bit of olive oil. Add all other ingredients and simmer for 1 hour on the stove or 3 hours in a slow cooker. After cooking add 1 tbsp of peanut butter.
(Perfect for Boxing Day!)
- 4 cups of cooked turkey
- 1 cup of sliced celery
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1 cup of seedless grapes, halved
- 10 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup diced apple
- Bean sprouts, large handful
- 1/2 mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp frozen concentrated orange juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
Put all ingredients into a large bowl. Toss and enjoy!
~ Dessert ~
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Line a baking sheet with crackers (Saltines or Ritz)
- Place your butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan and heat on the stove top until completely melted. Boil for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Pour that over the crackers
- Place in the oven for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over top and bake for 2-3 minutes to melt
- Spread the chocolate evenly and top with sea salt
- Allow to cool & enjoy!!!
Maple Apple Bread Pudding
- 4 cups day old French bread
- 2 cups apples
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 eggs
- 1 can Eagle Brand condensed milk
- 1 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 melted butter
- 1 tsp maple extract
Mix bread & apples in greased pan. Stir all other ingredients & pour over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
Light Cranberry Orange Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups chopped cranberries
- 1/2 grated peeled apple
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir in 1 cup of the cranberries and apple. Whisk together orange juice, egg, egg white, butter, and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients and stir.
Spoon into paper-lined muffins cups, sprinkle with the remaining cranberries. Bake at 350 degrees or until golden and firm to the top.
~ Drinks ~
Cinnamon Mezcal Margarita
- Torch a cinnamon stick and place a glass over to trap the smoke, set aside
- Shake together
- 3/4 oz of cinnamon syrup (In a saucepan mix equal parts water and sugar with a few cinnamon sticks) allow to simmer and cool before use
- 3/4 oz lime juice
- 1 oz of grand mariner
- 1/2 oz mezcal
- 11/2 oz reposado tequila
- Add ice to your glass over the torched cinnamon stick and pour your cocktail in
- Top with ground cinnamon
- Enjoy by a fire
- Put one marshmallow in a pan, over medium heat, until toasted brown
- Rim a lowball glass with chocolate syrup and dip into graham cracker crumbs
-In your shaker, add ice, 1 oz. vodka, 2 oz. baileys
- Pour into your glass with some ice cubes and top the glass with 2 oz. of 2% milk and toasted marshmallow.
For kids, use hot chocolate with the garnished cup and toasted marshmallow!
All of us at Active Health wish you a magical Holiday. We are grateful to have spent the year with you and are look forward to 2022!
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
The Active Health team